[sf-lug] AT&T DSL in Marin

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Wed Mar 17 10:51:06 PDT 2010

Akkana Peck wrote:
> Chris Mason writes:
>
>> Make no mention of Linux, and let them assume what they will.
>>
> [ ... ]
>
>> "Oh, I would just prefer to use the web interface to manage
>> my wonderful new HP printer. I'd hate to have to return it. You _do_
>> support Macs, right?"
>>

> My only disagreement is that I hate the thought of denying you use
> Linux. If everybody does that, they'll never realize that they have
> any Linux customers at all. Your message mentioned at the beginning a
> recording saying "For Mac or Linux ..." -- please, let's encourage that.
>
> You could follow your suggested script, and when they ask what OS
> you use, say Linux. If you hit a rude "We don't support Linux" brick
> wall, you can always fall back on "Well, I have a Mac here too ...
> hold on, let me boot it ...  you DO support Macs, right?"
> and then continue with the script.
>
> 	...Akkana

    I am glad you said that because it gives me the chance to pop
in and say that I told AT&T I was using Linux and they gave me
adequate assistance by telephone so that I could get on and
register.   I do have lots of general experience over the
years so maybe that helped.
    Of course I am in San Francisco so maybe that made a
difference?  Nah I don't think so.  All the help calls go to
a single help center eventually.

      later
      Bobbie Sellers