[sf-lug] (forw) Re: THANK YOU Re: Has anyone configured a HP LJ P1006 to Ubuntu 9.04 or 6.06?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 15 15:44:17 PDT 2010

Seems to have been intended for the mailing list.

----- Forwarded message from Mikki McGee <mikkimc at earthlink.net> -----

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:33:41 -0700
From: Mikki McGee <mikkimc at earthlink.net>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] THANK YOU Re: Has anyone configured a HP LJ P1006 to
	Ubuntu 9.04 or 6.06?

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Mikki McGee (mikkimc at earthlink.net):
>
>>    Thanks for the responses.  I am sure they will be helpful,
>> when I am forced to face the HP Laserjet.  Right now I have a
>> gift HP deskjet, which uses too much ink even in "draft" mode."
>> 	Hate to be the bearer of bad news twice in a row, but that's the
>> problem with inkjet printers generally:  They use up ink
>> cartridges rapidly, and the cartridges cost quite a bit of money.
>> 	Some of us deliberately avoid inkjet printers entirely for that reason:   They tend to be a razor-blade-and-razor trap.
Hi, Rick;

   Thanks for identifying the driver needed.  Now I need to try to
figure out how to load the flaming thing.

   Yup, nope, Oh, Well.

   I am aware the P1006 isn't a great printer.  That is not the
problem.  I also am aware the ink jet is an ink jet, and that the
cartridge trap is the trap.  It was a free gift, and I can use it for
a while, but it will be too expensive in the long run.  My printing
needs are not that demanding.

   Some of the technicians I have chatted with say the P1006 is an
adequate, dependable (inexpensive laser)  printer.  (I just didn't
check compatibilities - a blunder.)

   I got it on sale, no returns.  So I suspect that if I can get it
working, one way or another before needing ink jet cartridges,  finest
kind.  It is nearly guaranteed to not be as expensive to run, it ever
it will.  If not, not.

   I may be at the April meeting, trying to find someone to load the
"foo2xqx and get it to run !!

Bless All

Mikki

----- End forwarded message -----