[sf-lug] wifi on linux (notably laptops)

jim jim at well.com
Thu Feb 4 08:19:02 PST 2010

hi, robert,
   thanks for the note. nope: the tools that i know
of on ubuntu 9.04 seem not to let either me or
others who are more technically savvy than i get
this particular broadcom 43xx chipset to work, with
the notable exception of alan, who got it working
until the owner later rebooted.
   but my question is more general: as i witness
others cracking against this same box (and others),
i've noticed that they have different mental models,
some of which are better than mine. it's my mental
model that i want to improve.
   think of the problem as "if network manager does
not seem to work, what tools do you turn to?"

   using the wifi problem as an example, what are the
tools and files to use to diagnose problems of
installation and configuration? yes, i've looked and
looked in various documentation and found a lot but
nothing that relates everything needed to solve
software control of hardware in a general way.
   below is my attempt to list what's needed. i'd
bet the list is incomplete.

here's the stack expressed generally:
app
tcp/ip in the kernel
device driver
firmware
hardware

command line and/or gui tools:
network manager (this seems useless at times)
ifup and ifdown
iwconfig
iwlist
wlan0
lspci
lsusb
lsmod
dmesg

files and directories:
/etc/modprobe.d
/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/*.ko
/lib/firmware/ <kernel_version>/*.{bin,fw,ucode}

i keep thinking it would be nice to look up some
hardware and find the files needed to be in each
directory along with tools to use to diagnose
successful installation and configuration. i haven't
found such.