[sf-lug] wifi on linux (notably laptops)

Robert Fletcher lobatifricha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:17:05 PST 2010

Hey there Jim,

I've run into some laptop wifi problems in the past with Ubuntu, but I find
that the more recent versions support it pretty well without too much
mucking about.  I'm running a Dell XPS M1710.  On my laptop as well as
others running more recent versions (9.04, 9.10) I've had luck by first
plugging into a wired connection, running a 'sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get upgrade' and then checking out the restricted drivers under
System->Administration.  I think you can probably get the necessary drivers
off of the CD as well.

Hope that helps,
Rob