[sf-lug] What mailing list software/web interface does everyone use?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 26 14:31:11 PST 2010

Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Chris Mason wrote:

> If you just change your subscription mode away from "Digest" back to
> normal mode, you'll be able to use your email program for that.

/me checks.

Yep, Chris Mason elected digest mode.

A large number of problems can be avoided just by eschewing that
delivery mode.

Sounds like Chris probably needs just a better MUA, one that is more
capable of handling large amounts of threaded mail.

Some of us use well-tuned .muttrc files.  ;->  But mutt's certainly not
for everyone.

Specifically, I wrote a couple of procmail filters to append most
mailing list traffic to mbox /home/rick/inboxes/lists .  Procmail puts
several high-volume Debian lists' traffic in mbox /home/rick/inboxes/debian .
It puts svlug at lists.svlug.org traffic in mbox /home/rick/inboxes/svlug for
now-obsolete reasons.  (A decade ago, that list got a deluge of traffic.
Not true today.)  And everything else goes in mbox /var/spool/mail/rick by
default.

And then I leave three instances of mutt running 24x7 :  one for
personal mail, one for lists, one for svlug.  (The Debian stuff I
read only rarely.)

Works for Me.<em>

Emacs users report that GNUS is good for handling lots of mail.