[sf-lug] Installed OpenWRT on WRT54GS v1.0 - sweet! :-)

Robert Damphousse rjdampho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 05:37:46 PST 2010

Re: David, Yes DD-WRT has a more user-friendly interface.  I agree that
OpenWrt (and the add-on interface X-Wrt) aren't very user-friendly for those
who don't have some linux networking know-how.

That said, I do use OpenWrt because I have found it to be far more stable
than DD-WRT.  OpenWrt is much more "community" developed than DD-WRT (which
is heavily managed by "brainslayer").  I am also turned away by the
copyright issues that Rick mentions.  Some more reading on that can be found
here:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/3816236

Another thing I will give DD-WRT credit for is the breadth of information on
their wiki and forums.  Most of it is community contributions.  OpenWrt
definitely needs better documentation.

Tomato has a very nice UI, probably the best I've seen.  It has some handy
network tools in it.

I too am doing work with OpenWrt so I could field questions from the list.
 I have been using OpenWrt on the Open-Mesh mini router from open-mesh.com

Cheers,
Robert