[sf-lug] New Years resolutions (& less Microsoft pain)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 23 22:36:45 PST 2010

I'm not big on New Years resolutions (why wait to start?),
but one I promised myself for this year - cut way way way
down on any unpaid Microsoft support (e.g. "friends and family"
- not that it's particularly less painful when paid for).
Lost far too many hours, day(s), and weekends to dealing with
ugly messes greatly aided by Microsoft's general and repeated
failures at attempting to be an operating system (notably chronic
repeated security failures; and software, files, and configurations
thereof that continue to have poor to zero documentation available
to the public).

So, ... resisting the temptation to say something that might be
useful about XP (besides, I don't think this would be the forum
for that anyway).

And yes, did finally convert one long hold-out friend to jump from
Microsoft to Linux (only took about 21 years - but enough damage via
Microsoft finally made for another convert).