[sf-lug] system beep

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 01:04:26 PST 2010

I've learned a few things in my pursuit of this issue and am passing them on for anyone who might be interested:
The problem is that my initial method of making the alarm  noise was
to send CTRL-A characters to standard output.
If the at utility is used, when the script is eventually run, there is no
attached terminal to which to send the output.
A workaround (suggested by Akkana) was to send output directly to /dev/console but to do so, its permissions have to be modified
(sudo chmod 602 /dev/console).
$ echo $'\a' >/dev/console
then works.
This ofcourse raises some security issues, but I can't think how that could
be much of a problem (on my personal laptop.) From a security point of view, having to change the setuid bit of the script or running it as root seemed even less desirable options to me.
The other thing I discovered is that the syntax of the at utility doesn't
seem to allow any parameters to be passed to the job(s). I got around this
by using its -f option. This didn't work until all paths were specified
as absolute paths, again, I assume, because when run, who knows what is the current working directory. By 'all paths' I mean (1) the file given to the -f option and (2) the script listed in that file.
For example:
$ cat time
/home/alex/Python/Alarm/hardwareTimer -s 3
$ at 06:00am -f /home/alex/Python/Alarm/time
By the way, my script happens to be written in Python, but that's a different matter.