[sf-lug] system beep

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 11:45:09 PST 2010

Thank you, Akkana, for providing the answer.

running echo $'\a' >/dev/console is the answer I was looking for.
The fact that redirection to /dev/console requires root privileges is a fly in the ointment unfortunately.

In the process of playing with this I've discovered that
sudo echo $'\a' >/dev/console
DOES NOT work! Somehow the sudo seems only to apply to the echo command, not to the redirection to /dev/console.
sudo <script that contains the same (redirected) command> does work

Again, thank you Akkana, for sorting this out for us.
The issue seems to be overshadowed by the fact that on many people's system, the bell doesn't seem to be working.
cheers,
alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com