[sf-lug] Global Linux meeting via VOIP Jan 3 Sunday, @ loc& time of SFLUG - Re: WIFI, global Linux VOIP meeting BerkeleyTIP ...

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Thu Dec 31 01:32:22 PST 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:08:51 -0800, "jim" <jim at well.com> said:

> right, Sunday 20100103 from 11 AM to 1 PM (or so).
> ---------------------^
>
> oh, yeah: the wifi works, though it's got a password.

Note that Yelp indicates free wifi, recent posters there say free wifi, one old 4/20/2009 post says  "the non-free wifi (a neg rep, ITTET*)".

> sorry, been distracted: what's the global linux thing
> about? a link or two will be good.

I love ya, man.  ;)  :)

=====  BTIP Global Linux meeting Jan 3 @ location & simult w/ SFLUG
Quick Note to SFLUGers, & everyone:

You are invited to attend the Global GNU(Linux) & All Free Software, Free Hardware & Free Culture meeting, via in person & globally via VOIP, simultaneous with, & at the location of, the Sunday January 3rd SFLUG meeting, [ BTIP meeting time 12N-3PM ] at the scheduled location of the SFLUG meeting, the
Cafe Enchante
Neighborhood: Outer Richmond
6157 Geary Blvd.
(between 25th Ave & 26th Ave)
San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 251-9136
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-enchante-san-francisco?rpp=40&sort_by=date_desc

==
As a practical matter, all this means is that if you wish, you are invited to join me, & anyone else who so wishes at the cafe, & anyone else who is online (irc or VOIP), for any part of the Global BerkeleyTIP meeting.  See the (usually not followed) meeting hourly agenda on the btip website:
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/schedule

The main aspect of the BTIP meeting is to join with everyone else online, the global Linux community, primarily via VOIP.  So, if you're interested, bring some capability to get on VOIP, or IRC, if you wish: a laptop with inet access from the cafe, plus a voip headset, plus relevant VOIP client sw, are the primary requisites.  Sometimes we also have the ability for people to join by dialing in from a regular (or cell) phone to a US phone #.

The purposes of the BTIP global meeting are much like any LUG: Educational, Productive & Social.

I/we BTIPers will do our best to assist you with any hw or sw configuration & debug to enable you to get connected & join the meeting.

& you can join & chat with Linux people from all over the world.  :)

Just like any regular LUG activities, I/we all will just be sitting there working to get online, & conversing online & locally.  You are welcome to join with us, or not, as you wish.  :)

You are invited to join the BTIPGlobal, & other mailing lists & say hi, tell us about your interests, or ask any relevant, including howto & help, questions.
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

If you take the time to determine how to get your voip headset working before you come to the meeting, you'll be a step ahead.  :)

==
I arrange the BTIP global meetings in my nonexistent "free" time, in part as a service to & thanks to the Free SW HW & Culture communities.  We all (BTIPers) do it on a "best efforts, as time permits, achieve what we can, do some good, & have some fun" basis.

Feel free to ask me any relevant questions on this, or the BTIP lists.

I'll follow this message with a short announcement I sent to the BTIP list about the Jan 3 BTIP meeting in San Francisco. And, then with the regular BTIP announcement, hopefully within a day.

Oh, the regular announcement also lists the talk videos for the meeting, that people are encouraged to download & watch before the meeting, so we can discuss them at the meeting.
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/talk-videos

==  Some links:
Details about VOIP, howto, what to bring, etc:
http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/remote-attendance