[sf-lug] Any book suggeswtions for someone who wants to learn how to install & maintain Linux?

jim jim at well.com
Mon Dec 14 14:22:23 PST 2009

   the differences between the GUI presented
by windows, mac, linux... for everyday user
tasks is so nearly the same that there's no
significant adjustment for those who know a
bit about the underlying software, which i'm
guessing you clearly do.
   the common linux distros are pretty much
foolproof in their installation, including
giving you a multi-boot system. be warned in
the case of laptops and their wifi capabilities:
use a "live cd" before you install. for that
matter use a live cd in general. if you come
to a meeting (monday 20091221 sf-lug meets at
the cafe enchante on geary at 26th from 6 PM
to 8 PM or so), someone is likely to have a
"live cd" to give you: i will if you give me
advance notice so i remember.
   don't bother with books until after you've
got some way to play with linux, really: if
you don't allow yourself to get linux until
after you've read a bit, you're likely never
to get linux--you'll have died of boredom first.
jim