[sf-lug] what is the name of the screen (application) that comes up when my laptop wakes from hibernate?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:55:56 PST 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 02:01:31PM -0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> reason i ask is that ever since i upgraded to koala, this screen and
>> everything afterwards has corrupted video, unless i click on the second
>> from left button (which i'm pretty sure is the one to change users,
>> which i'm pretty sure resets the video card, which appears to fix the
>> problem). then i log in as myself and everything is fine.
>>
>> i'm guessing there was an update to this application which skips
>> resetting the video card, at least for my video driver (lenova t60,
>> intel 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML)
>
> I'm still using 9.04 and this happens to me too, but only
> occasionally.  Switching to a virtual terminal (text mode),
> i.e. with [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1], then back to X (graphics mode)
> with [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F7] seems to fix it.
>
> I've got a Dell Inspiron 1525 and my xorg.conf mentions Intel 965GM,
> so it's probably related.
>
> I get a lot of horizontal stripes around the screen, kind of like this:
>
>             ____      ____      ____     ____
>
>         ____      ____      ____     ____
>
>     ____      ____      ____     ____
>
>           ____      ____      ____     ____

Yep, that's exactly what I see, and your workaround works perfectly for
me as well, suggesting it's the same problem. Interesting that you've
had it since 9.04 and only occasionally, whereas I never had this happen
with 9.04 but have had it 100% consistently since upgrading to 9.10.

Perhaps this is irrelevant, but just for completeness I should mention
that I upgraded to 9.10 with a developer version, before the official
release, but only a month or so.

Clearly this problem has nothing to do with the gnome-screensaver
password dialogue box. It probably has to do with the video driver not
resetting or clearing memory, and by switching to a virtual console and
back we force it to reset something.

Not a big issue, but I'm extremely curious. I'd love to know what's
going on.

Michael