[sf-lug] Advice on running a laptop on AC only, without a battery (dead)

Owen Pietrokowsky opietro at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 23:44:48 PST 2009

I received an older laptop, a Compaq Evo N600c, yesterday. It worked find today, then it suddenly wouldn't boot. Previous owners have had trouble with a loose power cord, and the battery (I'm told) is dead. When I take the battery out it works fine on AC only. Is it safe to use the laptop without a battery at home and outside? (I can't afford a new battery and it's easier to carry around a laptop sans a heavy battery. How do I cover the battery well safely?) Thanks in advance for any info.

Owen Pietrokowsky
Editor, writer
Biotech, high-tech, linux, materials science
opietro at yahoo.com