[sf-lug] aliases - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 09:35:53 PST 2009

> But aliases also have noteworthy advantages.

Of course.  They are invaluable for redirecting mail in-system and
(at least theoretically) within groups of machines you control as part
of a single mail cluster.  I use, and recommend, them every day for
the former purpose.

That is, in fact, why I carefully limited my critique about the
standards-compliance problem to "mail reflected between SMTP systems via
/etc/aliases or ~/.forward" (without modifications such as Sender
Rewriting System).  Because in-system aliases (in particular) are, in
fact, indispensible and there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, as someone who stubbornly believes in progress, I _would_
appreciate it if we limited ourselves to making only new and creative
mistakes, rather than repeating old ones.

--
Rick Moen              "Always capitalize 'Satan'. You don't want to get dead
rick at linuxmafia.com    goats from those people."           -- FakeAPStylebook