[sf-lug] aliases - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 17 09:35:53 PST 2009

> But aliases also have noteworthy advantages.

Of course.  They are invaluable for redirecting mail in-system and
(at least theoretically) within groups of machines you control as part
of a single mail cluster.  I use, and recommend, them every day for
the former purpose.

That is, in fact, why I carefully limited my critique about the
standards-compliance problem to "mail reflected between SMTP systems via
/etc/aliases or ~/.forward" (without modifications such as Sender
Rewriting System).  Because in-system aliases (in particular) are, in
fact, indispensible and there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, as someone who stubbornly believes in progress, I _would_
appreciate it if we limited ourselves to making only new and creative
mistakes, rather than repeating old ones.

Rick Moen              "Always capitalize 'Satan'. You don't want to get dead
rick at linuxmafia.com    goats from those people."           -- FakeAPStylebook