[sf-lug] aliases - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 17 02:19:23 PST 2009

> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:32:31 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SF-LUG (& BALUG) DNS, etc.
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>> Typically better to have multiple, and where feasible, use out-of-band
>> (e.g. role based) alias(es) that have zero dependencies upon the DNS
>> in question.      ^^^^^^^^^

Okay, ... I'm not going to get into the whole aliases debate again
(likely already did that at least once somewhere on this list, or
elsewhere).
Yes, you certainly do cover some very legitimate points, namely:
o sending and forwarding via aliases & authorized sending IP issues
   (e.g. SPF), and similar issues.
o exactly where aliases do/don't forward to can be more
   difficult/restrictive/restricted in who can see/examine (and sometimes
   even test) that.
... and perhaps some additional points.
But aliases also have noteworthy advantages.  (I've mentioned at least
some of them before, no need to get horribly redundant with the same
point / counter-point ad infinitum).