[sf-lug] Potential GPL violation

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Nov 14 14:39:48 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:42:24AM -0800, Chris Mason wrote:
> On a technical level, eldy is clearly not a derivative work....
>
> It still bugs the hell out of me, though, how clearly they are setting
> themselves up for future (one year time-frame) price gouging of the
> multitude of older folks out there. :\

Well, there are countless closed systems built around Linux.
(TiVo, Kindle, Roku Netflix Player, Google, to name a few ;) )

Many torches and pitchforks _have_ been raised, but in most
cases it's less to do with licensing, and more to do with the
system itself.  (e.g., Kindle's text-to-speech... on the one hand,
it's pissed off the Authors Guild, because it will apparently
prevent audio books from selling. ;)  On the other hand,
people with vision disabilities are annoyed because, while the
device has TTS, it's difficult to actually _use_ the device
without being able to see.  Apparently even just getting the thing
to read a book aloud requires mucking around with menus that you
need to be able to read.)

Sorry, I'm rambling.

<snip>
> (And I suspect most people leave defaults be, when they are
> reasonable. Does anyone here *not* use Google Search with Firefox? $$
> for Mozilla.)

I use  [Alt]+[F2] then "gg:", then the search term on my KDE desktop.
(And that fires up Konqueror.)  So despite using Firefox a lot
(because I "have to"), I only use it for a few specific tasks,
and searching Google is not one of them. ;)

Sorry Mozilla!

-bill!