[sf-lug] SF-LUG DNS

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 12 13:15:58 PST 2009

My fairly quick checks (mostly did them on-and off a bit ago, after my
earlier email) ... not an exhaustive check, but mostly looking
at many key items for sf-lug.com. DNS infrastructure.
I added some comments on lines starting with //
Full analysis/commentary (or explaining exactly what I did (and didn't) do
and why, I'll leave as an exercise ;-) for those interested.

$ lynx -dump

                                    It works!

$ dig -t NS com. +short
$ dig @j.gtld-servers.net. -t NS sf-lug.com. +short
$ dig @j.gtld-servers.net. -t A ns1.sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
$ dig @j.gtld-servers.net. -t A ns2.sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
$ dig @ -t A sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
$ dig @ -t A www.sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
$ dig @ -t A sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @ -t A sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
;; global options:  printcmd
$ dig @ -t A www.sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @ -t A www.sf-lug.com. +short +norecurse
;; global options:  printcmd
$ dig -x +short
$ dig @ -t SOA sf-lug.com. +short
ns1.sf-lug.com. jim.well.com. 2007102904 3600 3600 1209600 10800

If has any or all of these IPs:
as its master for sf-lug.com., it will need updating.
The only other immediate thing I particularly notice, is
isn't (yet) handling DNS queries, and presuming (guessing) that is slave for sf-lug.com., not master, where does it
get that data from?  Looks like it may not have a master available to it
"presently" (well, a bit ago, anyway).  SOA would imply it likely gets
that data from

Also, my earlier email should have indicated +trace, rather than -trace.