[sf-lug] "Free": Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) (& OSD)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 11 02:10:19 PST 2009

> Much thanks for mentioning the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
> again.  Although I'm quite familiar with the DFSG, you caused me to
> realize that the DFSG really embodies what I tend to think of as far as
> what "free" (as in "open source" and freedom) software is ... or at
> least ought to be.  I think the DFSG does a superb job of capturing what
> "free" software is and should be.

Hey, you're very welcome.   But most of the thanks should go to Bruce
Perens, who drafted the DFSG _and_ later created the Open Source
Definition closely based on them.

When one has spent time trying to evaluate software licences for
freeness, the existence of a really clear, good set of criteria is
extremely useful, I've found -- and DFSG is the best thing there is,
IMO, for denoting what "free software" is in an operative sense.