[sf-lug] Can't seem to watch this movie

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 10 13:31:56 PST 2009

Quoting Micah Lee (micahflee at gmail.com):

> I've noticed that several uber-proprietary Flash-based streaming video
> players basically suck and don't work with Firefox and Adobe Flash in Linux,
> but do in Windows or OS X.

The problem is invariably not the Flash (as sucky and deliberately
underdocumented[1] as Flash is), but the Javascript by which the site
and its money-men attempt to monitor and control the user.  Long term,
your best option is downloading the Flash file and playing that locally.

Of course, the money-men don't want you to do that, so they do their
best to obscure the information required.  Ancillary software such as
Flash Video Resources Downloader (http://max.subfighter.com/flv/) and
the various related GreaseMonkey scripts help.

Rick Moen              "Use 'login' for the noun, 'log in' for the action,
rick at linuxmafia.com    and 'Loggins' when you're footloose in the danger zone."
                                                     -- FakeAPStylebook