[sf-lug] Can't seem to watch this movie

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 10 13:31:56 PST 2009

Quoting Micah Lee (micahflee at gmail.com):

> I've noticed that several uber-proprietary Flash-based streaming video
> players basically suck and don't work with Firefox and Adobe Flash in Linux,
> but do in Windows or OS X.

The problem is invariably not the Flash (as sucky and deliberately
underdocumented[1] as Flash is), but the Javascript by which the site
and its money-men attempt to monitor and control the user.  Long term,
your best option is downloading the Flash file and playing that locally.

Of course, the money-men don't want you to do that, so they do their
best to obscure the information required.  Ancillary software such as
Flash Video Resources Downloader (http://max.subfighter.com/flv/) and
the various related GreaseMonkey scripts help.

--
Rick Moen              "Use 'login' for the noun, 'log in' for the action,
rick at linuxmafia.com    and 'Loggins' when you're footloose in the danger zone."