[sf-lug] Can't seem to watch this movie

Michael Paric mparic at compbizsolutions.com
Tue Nov 10 00:39:34 PST 2009

> hi,
>
> One of the schools this LUG is supporting with Linux is going to
> attempt to watch this movie tomorrow using Linux, but we have not
> been able to watch it thus far, and I'm not sure why.  Would someone
> please tell me if you are able to watch "Becoming Human" part one
> here:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beta/evolution/becoming-human-part-1.html
>
> I was able to watch a preview, but the full movie does not play for
> some reason.  Not sure why.  I do have the most recent version of
> Flash running.  I am using Jaunty, and I also have a wide variety of
> codecs installed.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Christian,
I was able to get it to play the full-length show on Karmic, however
it seems that Jaunty (and probably versions below it) even with the
official Adobe Flash player has problems with their embedded ad
tracking plug-in from ad.doublclick.net and the JavaScript that
displays it; it hangs trying to connect and never finishes. Even tried
it with Opera but same result. Saw lots of posts but no real solutions
other than upgrading to Karmic. The previews do not have the ad
tracking which is why they play and the full-length show does not.

Michael