[sf-lug] Introductions

Shawn Lewis shawnisalk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 08:47:33 PST 2009

Hello, everyone.

My name is Shawn. I'm a new add to the group. Although, in years past, I
played with Linux from time to time, the incredible amount of development
that has happened with Linux and the stability and ease-of-use I've run into
with Ubuntu has wooed me. Recently, I dropped Windows (from my personal
machine) and I'm never going back.

I work for Sarai LLC, a tiny tech consulting firm that supports, primarily,
non-profits. We share office space in the SF Non-Profit Tech Center with
Aspiration and Radical Designs, both excellent groups of people. We support
mainly Windows users, also some Mac-using folks.

I'm a late-comer to the open source fold. Although I am not a developer, I
find, inexplicably, that I have very strong feelings about open source
software and its propagation.

I am a newbie at Linux. My laptop has the latest version of Ubuntu on it,
and I have an old IBM Thinkpad i series setup as a Debian server. I'm using
DynDns with port forwarding to allow myself to SSH and STFP into the server
from outside. I am using NIS and will be setting NFS up, soon. It will be a
rite of passage for me when I can duplicate the functionality of a Windows
Domain in a Linux environment.

I look forward to getting to know you all and furthering my
interest/knowledge in/of Linux. I'm going to try to make it to the
get-together on the 16th. I look forward to meeting some of you then.

Shawn Lewis