[sf-lug] Where can I get my computer transitioned?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Oct 11 11:52:29 PDT 2009

hiya, stoop. a lot of us in your position turn to
each other for help. the essential steps are easy
in concept:
* analyze your data: what file formats do you have?
what software exists on the target platform? must
you convert some data to some format supported on
the target?
* convert any data to supported formats.
* save data to two (not one) removeable or external
storage devices or services.
* test that the data is correctly copied.
* ensure you can reinstall the existing operating
system--e.g. do you have OS installation CDs?
* install the new operating system.
* copy the data from external storage to the host.
* integrate the data with the required application
software.

   my guess is the toughest part for you is analysis.

   here are some local resources:
* sf-lug. us. ask for more help. you willing to have
someone come to your house? willing to bring stuff
to someone else's house? can you bring your machine
to a sf-lug meeting?
* noisebridge. http://www.noisebridge.net noisebridge
has a publicly available location on mission near 18th
street (2169 mission). th

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 11:29 -0700, Stoop wro