[sf-lug] Ubuntu LDAP Admin Interface

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Sep 21 07:29:32 PDT 2009

On 09/21/2009 02:17 AM, Michael Paric wrote:
> Grant Bowman mentioned using LDAP at the CAS school in SF; anyone know
> what admin interface is being used? Does it do NT-style Domain Control
> operations too? I couldn't find a really good LDAP interface for Ubuntu
> that would do Linux and Windows authentications which is why I used
> CentOS in my thin client networks. First I used the Webmin module
> (http://www.fsa-blast.org/Webmin/LDAPUsersAndGroups) but found it buggy.
> Configured GOsa which does much more than LDAP but configured Linux and
> Windows authentication in one interface so students and teachers would
> have the same roaming profile whether they logged into a Windows
> workstation or a Linux thin client (https://oss.gonicus.de/labs/gosa/).
> Any other preferences?

I've been wondering the same (on CentOS, though which distro probably
doesn't really matter).

We're Linux only here, which probably simplifies things a bit, but so
far I've been using a GUI tool named "luma" to administer the accounts
on the LDAP server.  Seems to work decently in administering records of
objectClass "posixAccount", though I'm not entirely satisfied with it.
So if you find something better, please post back here.

HTH,

DR