[sf-lug] mastering CDs in bulk for Software Freedom Day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 2 09:53:23 PDT 2009

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> This has gotten way out of hand.  After all, we are all on the same
> side, trying to create progress for open source software in both
> absolute and relative, effectively leveraged ways.

Of course.  No offence taken on my part.  (You seem a bit upset.
I'm sorry to see that.)

As I've said all along, I wish those wishing to underwrite burning
MS-Windows app CDs and spend time getting them out to users luck, and
hope they get the results they seek.  Even while thinking the
justifications have been illogical and out of touch with reality, I
still salute your intentions and wish you the best.

>  You were not "almost the sole person" nor is the sf-lug.org in any
> danger of becoming a Windows user group.

Sorry to have to contradict yet again, but by any reasonable metric I
_was_ almost the sole person debunking the peculiar reasons cited (a
fact Larry commented on) -- and, solely since you (not I) brought the
matter up, becoming a distributor of MS-Windows software would be, IMO,
a severely inappropriate activity for SF-LUG.  (Nothing objectionable
about you, Sameer, and whoever else doing it, though.)

> Acknowledgement from time to time of your generous contributions are
> well earned and deserved.  Perhaps this sentiment is not voiced often
> enough.

You seem to have utterly ignored my point, so I'll state it again.  I
wasn't asking to be thanked.  I didn't do so before, and am not now.
(That would, among other things, be really tacky.)  That was completely
irrelevant to what I said.

What I said was:  It was damned peculiar -- and, actually, bitingly ironic
-- for you to bitch, on this forum, that I'm somehow preventing (oddly
unnamed) other people from expressing disagreement with what I say:
I'm the guy who (gladly) makes it possible for this entire forum
to exist.  You and other people trying to gallivant over to Microsoft
land are able to advocate that activity because I built, pay for, and
maintain the joint.  Thus, to make crystal clear the point you seem to
have not understood a moment ago:  I'm not only nowhere dissuading or
preventing people from posting views contrary to mine, but actually
_enable_ and pay for their doing so.

Get it?

> I am very sorry you felt it necessary to bring it up here at least in
> part if not entirely provoked by my comments.

_I'm_ very sorry you went so far out of your way to completely ignore my
point -- and instead reacted as if I were begging for applause.  Which
is not my style, and has nothing at all to do with what I said.