[sf-lug] mastering CDs in bulk for Software Freedom Day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 30 23:54:21 PDT 2009

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> So I am a supporter of what you are doing in giving out FOSS apps CDs
> for Microsoft Windows, but I just don't personally have time to do the
> same, since I am otherwise busy supporting teachers, administrators,
> and students using these Linux machines:

It's always a question of optimising available resources, isn't it?  In
fact...

> But I do see that there will be a net gain of Linux users by giving
> people FOSS apps CDs.  Out of every, say 100 people to whom one gives
> FOSS apps CDs, a certain percentage, say 2 or 3 % (my guess) will
> eventually move to Linux.  And of those 2 or 3 people who move to
> Linux, maybe 25% would not have moved to Linux at all if they did not
> receive FOSS apps CDs.  So it is a net gain to the good.

...in fact, _that_ -- whether it "is a net gain to the good" -- is
simply not the relevant question, at all.  The relevant question should
be where _else_ can you bestow the same amount of time and money, and
could you do more good by so doing?  I would suggest that one gets far
greater return in building understanding, building community, assisting
others, and performing activities of interest and value to one's self by
working on and with Linux -- as opposed to spending money and time
handing out free-of-charge MS-Windows app CDs.

Fortunately, Sameer wants to waste only his own money and time, not
mine, so to that extent I have absolutely no objection and wish him the
best of luck.  However, I also have no problem giving my opinion that
the project is justified on the basis of shoddy reasoning and wishful
thinking in the face of long experience to the contrary.