[sf-lug] Edward Janne's Final Questionnaire for Cultural Anthropology

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:51:30 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I enjoyed the lively discussion engendered by this survey.  It truly
illustrates what a wonderous thing it is when entire nuanced
worldviews can be serialized, shared and understood through the linear
medium of the alphabet. *cough*

I just wanted to make a couple of points in defense of two of the main
voices.  First I think it would be a misunderstanding to think that Mr
Moen intended to belittle anyone or had any mean intent in his
remarks.  Programmers must be like philosophers in our passion to
clarify the formulation of questions and answers.  When we get
interested in a problem, it's best not to take any opinions expressed
about your ideas too personally.  That said, personal styles differ.

Second I think any criticism about the validity of Mr Janne's program
of research on this list, to the effect that he was asking questions
here out of laziness instead of finding the answers himself, is wide
of the mark.  Indeed Mr Janne made it clear that he was not interested
in the "real" answers to his questions in any absolute sense, but
merely in how some of us might respond.  Of course these responses
could be given privately rather than shared with the list, but it
appears many people were interested, and it's easy enough to killfile
boring threads (technical problems being generally more fun and easy
to solve than social ones).

PS: From Port Authority take the A or C train uptown to Columbus Circle.

http://www.carnegiehall.org/article/the_basics/art_directions.html

PPS: Another favorite joke: How far can a dog run into the woods?

^L

Only halfway - then he's running out!