[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] Linux growth

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 16:42:26 PDT 2009

<perspective>

You know, if this were a LUG in which I had some decision-making power
regarding the mailing list -- and I don't here (but I do have that power at
one elsewhere, incidentally) -- I think I would have done things somewhat
differently.

Primarily, I would have asked Edward -- "asked," leaving him to comply or
not -- to:

-- Submit all his questions at once, rather than stringing them along
(which, in my opinion, makes it appear that Edward's "making this thing up
as he goes along." He may not be, but that's the appearance); and

-- Submit an electronic version of the paper, once it's turned in to his
class, to the mailing list so we can see the results of his research in
which we've given our time; and

-- Supply me with his teacher's/faculty advisor's e-mail or other contact
information so I can confirm this assignment; and

-- Attend a meeting to interview LUG members in person.

Second, of the mailing list denizens, I would have asked them -- again,
"asked," leaving them to comply or not -- to:

-- Answer Edward individually, as to avoid the spike in mailing list traffic
which might impede other discussion; and

-- Come to a meeting where Edward would be available to ask questions and
collect answers.

So, Edward, you've asked an awful lot of this group for the benefit of a
homework assignment, and I think you should be aware of that. My hope is
that you appreciate the effort put forth by everyone who has responded,
regardless of the answers.

Larry Cafiero

</perspective>