[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] Linux growth

Edward Janne tigakub at mac.com
Thu Jul 30 16:01:35 PDT 2009

Thank you for your illuminating reply.

On Jul 30, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Edward Janne (tigakub at mac.com):
>
>> Question 5: Is the Linux user base growing fast enough?
>
> I can tell that you're not a "process" thinker, because my immediate
> reaction was "Fast enough to accomplish _what_ specifically?"

For the purposes of my paper, would you mind going into more detail
about how one would become a process thinker? Are there many forms of
process, or is there one universal process? Is there a process to
becoming a process thinker, or is one simply born a process thinker?
Am I on the right track to becoming a process thinker?

>> What do the members of the group do to encourage adoption of the
>> platform?
>
> Your question suggests the zero-sum proprietary-OS mindset at work.
> It's kind of depressing to still encounter that in 2009.

Would you help me rephrase my questions to avoid lending the
impression that I have a zero-sum proprietary-OS mindset? I'm not
entirely sure what I have said to lead you to believe that. I really
don't see how my question can be construed to imply that I believe
that increasing the adoption of Linux detracts from other OS usage or
vice versa. Is it the .mac in my e-mail? I can't remember ever typing
the word "convert" nor validating or condemning any OS. If Linux is a
good operating system, I would think everyone would like to see it
more widely recognized and used, not because of mindless brand
loyalty, but because it can benefit society. Is this an erroneous mind-
set?

Also, can you help me understand how repeatedly belittling someone who
is honestly seeking to understand the Linux community is constructive?
Is it some kind of hazing ritual? Someone once threatened in jest to
make me install Slackware as an initiation. Is that what you are doing?

-edj