[sf-lug] Any one have experience with this old laptop?

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Thu Jul 9 14:56:51 PDT 2009

PMPope wrote:
> Hello Bobby,
>
> I recently found myself laptop-less. Crup! I accidentally stumbled
> into that  Goodwill store (located at Van Ness & Mission). Fridays
> after 12:00pm, it seems that their 'new' inventory of recycled
> computers hit the shelves. I picked up a Dell Inspiron for  $30 (flat)
> I brought it back to the lab and liberated it with a Debian Squeeze.
> Not the 'BEST OF THE BEST.' but what the hey. I use it for
> experimental ferment and to keep up my chops. I could do alot worse.
> Did I remember to tell you it only cost me $30.00 (USD)?
>
> Happy hunting!
>
> PMPope
> EdgeLabs SFCA <www.edgedata.blogspot.com>

    Well at the same place a couple of years back I paid $225 for my
Inspiron
4000 which has been useful but with limits on a lot of things I thought were
important.  That is why I got a more powerful machine from Best Buy which
happens to be a refurbished machine with a larger hard drive about 12
times larger,  a slightly larger display, and about 7 times faster CPU with
about 5 times the memory and 32 times the graphic memory.

    I will use the old machine to do other things with if I keep it the
P3 has about 5 hours of battery life which is about 2x as much as the
Compaq..

    later
    Bobbie