[sf-lug] Any one have experience with this old laptop?

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Wed Jul 8 18:22:39 PDT 2009

Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
>> [I'll asume Bobbie dropped offlist accidentally.]

    Yes it was an accident.
    We talked about it at length a couple of years agao

>> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):
>>

>>> Thank you for your suggestions.  I spent several hours on the WWW
>>> attempting to locate information and if your suggestions pan out I wil
>>> be very  thankful to you.
>>>

>> My search string was:
>>
>>    CQ60-215DX Linux
>>
>> URLs were from pages 1 and 2, of returned search results.  Elapsed time
>> was around 2 minutes.
>>
>> For laptops, it's also often worthwhile looking specifically on
>>
>> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>> http://tuxmobil.org/
>>

>> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html includes an entry on a
>> probably similar model, the Compaq Presario CQ60-103EL -- though it's in
>> Italian.
>>
>> One of the reasons you want to look _specifically_ on those two sites is
>> that it's very common for there to be reports on a related model, though
>> not for the particular variant in front of you.
>>
>> It helps, of course, to have probed the hardware with, say, your
>> favourite live-CD Linux distro.  I gave an example of how to do this
>> in my page about one of _my_ old laptops:  Go to
>> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html , and pick entry "Dell
>> Inspiron 7000 [generic]".
>>
>> They call it "generic" because I deliberate made the analysis _not_ be
>> distro-specific -- in order to show people how to write a page about a
>> laptop in such a way that it's useful to _all_ readers.
>>

>    Thanks again Rick.
>    Next time you come to a meeting I will be happy to buy you a coffee
> and
> pastry.  Maybe I will have the new machine there.  They could be sold
> out by
> the time I get the urge to order so only maybe.
>    I guess I tended to include too many nouns in my searches.
>
>    later
>    Bobbie Sellers

    Anyhow with all the information I could get I went ahead and ordered it
this afternoon.
    Should have it next week sometime.
    This old Dell with a slow P3 and limited ram and graphics intended
for older
versions of MS W*nd*ws had been driving me up the wall with lockups
and resets whenever I have Thunderbird and Firefox running at the same time.

    Thanks for your invaluable assistance Rick.
    later
    Bobbie Sellers