[sf-lug] Any one have experience with this old laptop?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 8 16:18:19 PDT 2009

[I'll asume Bobbie dropped offlist accidentally.]

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):

> Thank you for your suggestions.  I spent several hours on the WWW
> attempting to locate information and if your suggestions pan out I wil
> be very  thankful to you.

My search string was:

   CQ60-215DX Linux

URLs were from pages 1 and 2, of returned search results.  Elapsed time
was around 2 minutes.

For laptops, it's also often worthwhile looking specifically on

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://tuxmobil.org/

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html includes an entry on a
probably similar model, the Compaq Presario CQ60-103EL -- though it's in
Italian.

One of the reasons you want to look _specifically_ on those two sites is
that it's very common for there to be reports on a related model, though
not for the particular variant in front of you.

It helps, of course, to have probed the hardware with, say, your
favourite live-CD Linux distro.  I gave an example of how to do this
in my page about one of _my_ old laptops:  Go to
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html , and pick entry "Dell
Inspiron 7000 [generic]".

They call it "generic" because I deliberate made the analysis _not_ be
distro-specific -- in order to show people how to write a page about a
laptop in such a way that it's useful to _all_ readers.