[sf-lug] BALUG: 2009-04-21 Allison Randal on Parrot (interpreter engine behind Perl 6 & other languages), etc.; & other BALUG news

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 13 06:49:31 PDT 2009

Contents - upcoming meetings:
2009-04-21 Allison Randal on Parrot, etc.
2009-05-19 (final speaker confirmation pending)
2009-06-16 Kyle Rankin on forensics

------------------------------

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-04-21
Allison Randal[1] on Parrot[2], etc.

Parrot is a virtual machine like no other. Targeting dynamic languages
such as Perl[3], Ruby[4], Python[5] and PHP[6], it incorporates an
object-oriented assembly language, is register-based rather than
stack-based, and employs continuations as the core means of flow
control. It hosts a powerful suite of compiler tools tailored to
dynamic languages and a next generation regular expression engine. This
talk briefly explains the overall architecture of Parrot and teaches
the skills needed to get started hacking in Parrot.

Allison Randal is chief architect and lead developer of the open source
project Parrot, chairman of the Parrot Foundation[7], on the board of
directors of The Perl Foundation[8], founder of the FLOSS
Foundations[9] group for open source leaders, and founder and president
of Onyx Neon Press[10]. She also works for O'Reilly Media[11], planning
the program for their Open Source Convention (OSCON[12]).

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

       rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they ensure that we're able to
eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

       6:30pm
       Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 2009-04-21

       Four Seas Restaurant
       731 Grant Ave.
       San Francisco, CA 94108
       Easy $5 PARKING:  Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Randal
2. http://www.parrot.org/
3. http://www.perl.org/
4. http://www.ruby-lang.org/
5. http://www.python.org/
6. http://php.net/
7. http://www.parrot.org/foundation
8. http://www.perlfoundation.org/
9. http://flossfoundations.org/
10. http://www.onyxneon.com/
11. http://oreilly.com/
12. http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon

------------------------------

2009-05-19 (final speaker confirmation pending)
To be sure to see updates, subscribe to the BALUG announce list[13] if
you're not already subscribed, or check back on meeting information[14]
on the BALUG web site[15].

13. http://www.balug.org/#Lists
14. http://www.balug.org/#Meetings%20(upcoming)
15. http://www.balug.org/

2009-06-16 Kyle Rankin[30] on forensics

30. http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1849

http://www.balug.org/

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org