[sf-lug] [PYCLASS] Mon Apr 6 6:30 PM: Chapter 17

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 6 12:50:08 PDT 2009

(Thanks to both of you who submitted assignments! It's very encouraging to
see that level of participation, and it's also still good to have people
drop by even if they haven't. Reading still recommended, though.)

WHERE: Noisebridge (83C Weise St, near 16th & Mission BART)
<http://noisebridge.net>
WHEN:  Mon Apr 6 6:30 PM
WHAT:  Community Python learning session: Chapter 17

TEXTBOOK INFO: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html
TEXTBOOK CHAP: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/book018.html

Chapter 17 covers classes and *methods*, which are functions attached to
instances of a class. You see the exciting concept of "polymorphism", too.

IF YOU ARE NEW

Remember that the point of the class is to help you answer questions you
have. To that end, *read Chapter 17* so that you can make sense of the
general class discussion.

In addition, work forward in the text starting with chapter 1. I *urge*
you to send me your exercises for any chapters; I can provide good
feedback. Focus on the exercises for Chapter 17 so that we can have a
coherent conversation in class, and feel free to ask me questions about
earlier material.

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

A bunch of SF-LUG people have been learning an introduction to programming, and
I've been facilitating.  My expectation is to have a fun conversation with
people who have mostly read the chapter, and some of whom (hopefully all!) have
done the chapter's exercises.

WHAT'S THE LOCATION?

Noisebridge is a "hacker space" where people gather to discuss technology
and art or build things.  It's a member-supported non-profit, and I think
you'll think it's pretty cool.  Read https://www.noisebridge.net/.

KEEP TALKING

I invite you to email me your answers to the exercises, or to discuss on the
sf-lug list (since that's where this all started).

See some of you there!

-- Asheesh.

--
You are sick, twisted and perverted.  I like that in a person.