[sf-lug] All-in-One-Printer Recommendation

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Apr 6 08:49:57 PDT 2009

Steven Friese wrote:
> My mother is somewhat reluctantly using Ubuntu 8.04 and needs to
> replace her current printer.  She is looking for an all-in-one system
> and is threatening to return to Some_Other_OS unless she can find one
> that works (mostly) perfectly with Ubuntu.
>
> I checked the Ubuntu forums for the printers we saw at the store and
> only the Epson Artisan 700 and 800 seem to have support, although
> there seemed to be scanner issues.
>
> Can anyone recommend a current all-in-one that works with Ubuntu 8.04
> along with as much instruction as possible to get it working?
>
> BTW: she doesn't want an older printer, but something she can
> purchase immediately at Staples, Fry's, or some other retail store.
>
> Thanks,

Brother printers have good Linux support - directly from the
manufacturer.  (The company has a web site that provides drivers and
software for just about all their models.)

We use the Brother mfc885cw allinone here at work, but I haven't yet
been able to get it to work with my linux setup.  That said, my distro,
Arch Linux, doesn't have a package for the software, so I'm trying to
build/package it myself - and probably making some mistake somewhere.
Maybe try seeing if Ubuntu has a package for that model.

HTH,

DR