[sf-lug] help saving OpenOffice files

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:29:51 PDT 2009

Hi Owen, I don't use OpenOffice but I have a couple of suggestions.

>  I'm unable to save documents in OpenOffice. I get this error when I try to
> save a Writer file or Calc spreadsheet file:
>
>          "Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. ..."

I wonder if there is a problem with your disk or the application.
Maybe try saving a file in a different directory, if possible on a
different disk (such as a USB drive).  Also try saving a file in the
same directory but with a different application, such as OpenOffice
Presenter (or whatever the PowerPoint clone is called).  You may
consider upgrading to OpenOffice 3.  I would also suggest, if
possible, to get a more complete and detailed error message and Google
for that verbatim.  Finally try asking in a forum more targeted to the
software you're using, such as the Ubuntu Desktop forum or whatever
forum OpenOffice uses.  Be aware that although Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is
still officially supported, it's almost three years old and many
people will expect you to use the "latest stable" system (at least
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS).