[sf-lug] Rick Moen quoted in article re building LUGs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 10 17:42:17 PDT 2009

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> We hold them at a local crepe-oriented restaurant, that people seem
> to enjoy, though I recently discovered the local southwest-style
> restaurant holds fundraisers on the day of the week that we hold
> our socials.

Restaurant venues need to be evaluated, in my experience, concerning:

o  size of the expected attendance, esp. relative to table size
o  ability to accomodate larger crowds when needed
o  noise levels
o  event conflicts (e.g., karaoke or football nights)
o  policy about separate cheques and mandatory tips
o  public transit, parking, credit cards, beer/wine, hours...

(And there will always be someone unhappy about something: The places
isn't good for vegans, lactose-intolerance, celiac disorder, pepper
allergies, and so on.)

Lots of places go through cycles of being group-friendly versus
group-hostile.  For a while, they love you, and then suddenly
everyone has to pay on the same bill, there's a 20% tip autoadded,
food service is slow and inaccurate, and you get the strong feeling the
shift manager wants you to go away.