[sf-lug] Multi booting

bruce coston jane_ikari at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 13:16:25 PST 2009

I multi-boot exclusively , so I can simply reboot into another install when something goes wrong .  I still place a FAT-32 partition on hda1 / sda1 because many distributions automatically set it up to do data exchanges .  I always ask for partition boot from the installer so WHEN some distro overwrites MBR. I can fix it fast or I'll just use GAG. to point at my partitions .  Occasionally some distro will wipe all data from a drive when it sees a partition beyond the 15th .  Occasionally some distro will wipe all data following a filesystem it doesn't know , I lost 9 installs that way once .  I share swap only and often have over 9 distro available at once .  GRUB remains my bootloader of choice but seems to suffer from some version incompatibilities .  I need to do something about the boot sector number too high for bios on my gigabyte 780+sb700 chipset m/b problem with my 500g sata drive .  Is it possible for some distributions to share /boot ?