[sf-lug] how to whack crackers

jim jim at well.com
Tue Jan 6 09:33:44 PST 2009

   speakeasy sternly notified me that someone
reported cracking activity coming from my IP
address. happened three or four years ago, so
i knew what to do: turns out it was the same
break-in method and same general approach to
mis-using the box.

   the thing i fear is the rootkit and things
like them: replacing standard tools with
look-alikes that include malware components.
   so far, my approach is to wipe out the
entire system and rebuild from known-good
files from scratch. i don't trust the chkrootkit
program only because it seems likely there's
be rootkit improvements that elude an older
chkrootkit program (which i download as source
and compile and then run).

   back to the reading and re-reading.
thanks much!
jim