[sf-lug] Fwd: Re: Where can a senior citizen computer neophyte get a gnu/linux computer that works out of the box?...

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:40:45 PST 2008

On one day recently, someone* wrote:

> About a year ago, RMS gave a talk at UC Berkeley, & said there were only
> 2 distros he considered fully free - Ututu.org, & one other I don't
> recall.  I don't know any company that sells computers with ututu.

I may have been at that event -- and it was longer than a year ago (maybe
two?) -- because I remember that RMS said there were four distros that he
considered fully free. They were:

Ututo (Argentina)
gNewSense (Ireland) -- it seems that FSF and gNewSense work closely together
Blag (U.K.)
and a fourth one that I keep blanking on, but I would remember it if I heard
the name.

Of these, I've used gNewSense and it's pretty good -- if having a completely
and unequivocally free system is your desire, gNewSense is an above-average
distro.

Larry Cafiero