[sf-lug] "do not be shy" re ThinkPython

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Dec 7 21:43:10 PST 2008

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Alex Kleider wrote:

> Asheesh,
> May I take you up on your offer?

> Can you give me a hint how I could use docstring to make Ex 7.5 easier?
> I've been looking at a short file you gave us at one of the classes
> (it's attached) but can't really see how anything there helps.

Well, it's a matter of iterative development.

Basically, I'm thinking, if you're afraid you might have entered this part

(k!)^4 396^(4k)

then you could write a function that does just that, and then calculate
out the value for k = 1 by hand.  Add a doctest to the top that
demonstrates to your confidence that you got it right for k = 1, and if
you're still worried, do the math out by hand and write the doctest for k
= 2.  Run the doctest-style main function, and you'll find that your tests

Then you can be confident that when you use that for higher values of k,
you're doing the right calculations.

-- Asheesh.

The secret of success is sincerity.  Once you can fake that, you've got
it made.
 		-- Jean Giraudoux