[sf-lug] Android / T-Mobile G1

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 4 10:42:04 PST 2008

Quoting Kevin J. Smith (kevinjsmith+lug at gmail.com):

> This looks like a somewhat interesting alternative rolling out soon -
> http://mashable.com/2008/12/04/kogan-agora/
>
> The Kogan Agora - basically, an Australian company had a Chinese
> manufacturer build them a quad-band smartphone and they threw Android on it
> - saving them $$$ on the licensing fees. I'd love to see a hands on review
> of it.

A bunch of articles have emerged -- see prior links -- but none of them
yet reveals whether this is yet another DRMed vendor-controlled device.

One nice thing about the Neo Freerunner (etc.) is that you know it's
absolutely not.  One strategy is thus to wait until either Android or
one of the more-conventional Linux loads for it is reasonably mature,
and then use that.