[sf-lug] Android / T-Mobile G1

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 2 09:40:16 PST 2008

Quoting Nathan Hoover (nathan at foo-o-rama.com):

> For all the Linux and google related hoopla surrounding the G1, how
> open is it really? Can you build and install your own apps? Tweak the
> OS? (I'm not asking rhetorically, I want to know)

If only the G1 weren't, in general, even more locked down than is
Apple's iPhone:  It's DRM-locked from the ground up, including the
(non-reflashable) boot ROMs.  Android and Dalvik are nice, though, and
have already been rough-ported to other smartphones including the FIC
Neo 1973 and Freerunner.

Places to watch / read include:
http://clonedroidphone.com/
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/CECT-P168.html