[sf-lug] OT: quick and dirty interactive electoral vote calculator

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Nov 27 21:16:46 PST 2008

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Matt Price wrote:

> hi sf-lugers,
>
> greetings from canada!

Hey Matt!

> hope it's ok to ask a quick non-linux question.  I'm just making a quick
> US election spreadsheet, with rows for the various states.  I intended
> to have a radio button for each row, with the possible values "Obama",
> "McCain", amd "Undecided"; depending on the value, the electoral votes
> for that state would be added to the electoral college total for Obama,
> McCain, or neither.  As far as i can see there's no simple way to do
> this in Openoffice.

A bit late, but:

I guess without a radio button working (although I have a sense that one
could achieve this with OOo scipting maybe?), I would just enter 1 or 0 to
mean an Obama win or an Obama loss - or indeed, the string "McCain" or
"Obama".  Then you can COUNT() or SUM().

> How would other people solve this problem, either in openoffice or using
> some other tool?  It seems like a very simple problem, but I don't want
> to have to build a whole new interface from scratch just to make it
> work. And while there are lots of online calculators, i expect firefox
> to crash multiple times on election night and i don't want to keep
> losing my predictions.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Those are my thoughts, at least.  I'm curious to hear what others think
and what you ended up doing, if anything.

-- Asheesh.

--
Q:	How do you keep a moron in suspense?