[sf-lug] jim unsatisfied with apt-get and adobe flash and other things

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Nov 25 08:07:13 PST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, jim wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 19:07 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting jim (jim at well.com):
>>
>>> * i'm in this because i'm trying to help an impoverished
>>> musician avoid spending $100 or more per hour for someone
>>> to edit a simple HTML file. to verify my work, i have to
>>> access her web site, which looks like it was done on
>>> windows with windows for windows. haven't dragged out a
>>> mac to see if that box sees things correctly.
>>
>> Understood.
>> The Unixey-Neanderthal way of doing it, which I pretty much always use:
>>
>> 1.  Open a shell and a Web browser.  Open the page of interest in the
>> Web browser.
>> 2.  In the shell, ssh to the Web host.  cd to the directory of interest,
>> and open the html | PHP | whatever file in vi (or $EDITOR_OF_CHOICE).
>> 3.  Look for the problem.  Come up with what you think is probably the
>> fix.  Edit.  Save.  Reload page in Web browser.  See if it worked.
>> 4.  If it didn't work, undo the change (nice that vim has infinite
>> undo!), save, try again.  Iterate until done.
>>
>> Note that this method is (actually) totally OS-independent.
>
>   i use the neanderthal way in all things if i
> can. unfortunately, the hosting facility doesn't
> allow shell access, ftp only (i use CLI ftp,
> works fine).

Ew, gross.

Anyway, if you prefer, you can use http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/ to
mount the FTP system as a network filesystem.  Check out this
"screenshot" from its website:

$ mkdir sunet
$ curlftpfs ftp://ftp.sunet.se/ sunet/
$ cd sunet/
$ ls -l
total 0
Dr-xr-xr-x   3 root root        96 Feb 23  2004 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root        72 Mar  2  2004 dev
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root        48 Feb 23  2004 etc
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root       120 Feb 23  2004 lib
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 622187310 Mar 11 06:13 ls-lR
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  76389037 Mar 11 06:15 ls-lR.gz
drwxrwxr-x  37 root root      1272 Feb 27 14:17 pub
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root root        72 Feb 23  2004 usr
$ cd ..
$ fusermount -u sunet/

Now you can "cd" around the remote FTP filesystem.

>   also unfortunate that the web site is ornate,
> done by someone else. i can't see the change
> without having flash or some equivalent working.
>   i can do the work on my machine, bypassing
> the flash intro stuff, in the neanderthal way.
> but i gotta verify it once it's uploaded, hence
> must have flashish capability (and gnash failed
> to work with this site).

Yup.

If Flash 9 is adequate for you, the flashplugin-nonfree package straight
from Ubuntu should do you well.

-- Asheesh.

--
Chicken Little only has to be right once.