[sf-lug] jim unsatisfied with apt-get and adobe flash and other things

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Nov 23 05:50:05 PST 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, jim wrote:

>   i'm doing the same things over and over and
> getting nowhere. i'm going to stop that and do
> nothing until i get some clue as to what i can
> do differently.

Okay.

> Upgrades fail:
> standard upgrades show three things to get,
> i click the doit button, time goes by,
> activity bars show action, and finally:
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip-data_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_all.deb
>  Size mismatch
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hplip_2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
>  Size mismatch
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hplip/hpijs_2.7.7
> +2.7.7.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
>  Size mismatch
>
> what does "Size mismatch" mean and how to proceed?

Your mirror is broken, or if not the mirror, your connection to the
mirror.  ("Size mismatch" means the downloaded file's size != the metadata
recorded for that file.)  Try linux.csua.berkeley.edu instead of
us.archive.ubuntu.com; if that fixes things, then you know the problem was
with your mirror.

What release of Ubuntu is this?  Does your sources.list match your
release?  In the future, it's best to attach your /etc/apt/sources.list
(and the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* ) when asking for help
about APT stuff.

> Getting adobe-flash for firefox fails:
>   as to getting adobe flash, i jumped one of the
> earlier hoops by getting libcurl3 installed, but
> none of the others:

Trying to "jump" hoops is the wrong approach, IMHO; fix the root cause and
everything should slide into place.

> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adobe-flashplugin:
> adobe-flashplugin depends on libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0); however:

What is "adobe-flashplugin"?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=adobe-flashplugin reports no
results.

Do you have some weirdo non-Ubuntu sources in your sources.list?  If so,
comment them out for a moemnt and try instaling flashplugin-nonfree -
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=flashplugin-nonfree shows that
is packaged by Ubuntu.

Does that fix all your problems?

-- Asheesh.

--
"Elves and Dragons!" I says to him.  "Cabbages and potatoes are better
for you and me."