[sf-lug] how to configure init on ubuntu server?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 11 19:51:29 PST 2008

Quoting jim (jim at well.com):

>    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT FILES ARE USED
> on ubuntu server 8.04 to configure init.

I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news:  Better things than SystemV init now exist[1].  One of them is
Upstart, to which the last coupl'a revs of *buntu have switched.  The
main advantage is that it's an _event-driven_ init, such that each
process that starts knows which other processes have to start first and
watch for signals from those processes that say they're running --
and also, themselves, issue signals upon startup to let other processes
know, that might depend on them in turn.  Likewise, a process that shuts
down issues a signal, etc.

Bad news:  You now get to learn Upstart.  ;->

Anyway:
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
http://www.linux.com/feature/125977  <= Mark Sobell alert!

[1] Lazy-ass survey of the contenders, written by yr. humble correspondent,
a couple of years ago:   http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/init.html
(Yes, I know it needs formatting.)