[sf-lug] how to configure init on ubuntu server?

jim jim at well.com
Tue Nov 11 19:31:05 PST 2008

   seems people who try to run ubuntu server
8.04 with a NIC in static mode find that the
box loses the static IP address that was set
in the /etc/network/interfaces file. after
some amount of pain they find that dhclient3
has taken over--renewing leases with the LAN
dhcp server.
   i've not found out where are the config
files for dhclient3: not in /etc/init.d/ and
not in /etc/rc?.d/ and not in some other
seemingly obvious places. it would be nice
to know how dhclient3 gets kicked off and
what are its configuration files.
   but not as nice as knowing about init on
ubuntu server 8.04.

   i finally ran
# kill -15 <PID_OF_dhclient3>
and kept checking the output of ps aux to be
sure it that dhclient3 didn't get resurrected.
it hasn't so far. i'm getting hopeful, which
is generally a bad sign in my case.

   the next time the box boots, i'm betting
serious money that init will start up the
dhclient3 process.

   I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT FILES ARE USED
on ubuntu server 8.04 to configure init.
   on red hat and at&t and most other unix
systems that file is /etc/inittab. there is
no /etc/inittab on ubuntu server 8.04.

   i have googled, i have asked ubuntu server
heaviweights, i have asked skilled web admins
and coders and the dry cleaner's kid and the
dog. nobody gives me a clear answer. i get
lots of answers such as "use upstart" or
see man (5) interfaces or some such.

   I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT FILES ARE USED
on ubuntu server 8.04 to configure init.
   do any of you know?

   (as an aside, i am amazed it's so difficult
to get basic information on a part of the
system that is so fundamental.)