[sf-lug] [PYCLASS] Still on exercise 2.1

jim jim at well.com
Fri Oct 3 23:07:43 PDT 2008

# convert all data to a common format

6:52 is 6 + 52/60 hours is 6.867 hours

8 minutes 15 seconds is 8.25 minutes which
is 0.138 hours

7 minutes 12 seconds is 7.20 minutes, which
is 0.12 hours

# do whatever operations are required

0.138 hours * 2 is 0.276 hours

0.12 hours * 3 = 0.36 hours

6.867 hours + 0.276 hours + 0.36 hours = 7.503 hours

# reconvert the data to the reporting format

7.503 hours % 1 = 0.503 hours  # modula gets the remainder

0.503 hours * 60 minutes/hour = 30 minutes  # which is the minutes

7 hours + 30 minutes == 7:30

   yes, i did the conversions for my homework.
i took it easy with rounding off. there wasn't
anything socratic about my reply: it just
specified the tasks to do to get the result,
as you can see above. consider reviewing the
"algorithm" i sent previously with the
arithmetic in this email.