[sf-lug] Software Freedom Day event today

Justin Ryan justizin at vongogo.org
Thu Sep 18 09:06:01 PDT 2008

It's my understanding that SFSU has suspended approval for all public
demonstrations until after the end of Spring 2009 after a Federal
Circuit (?) Court Judge struck down CSU's speech policy.

I doubt they'll razz our community, but it even makes the other
activity they have more discriminatory if they don't.

I was actually really looking at SFSU as a place to continue my
education, but have not been impressed by their Administration and Law
Enforcement officers showing up in news and activist alerts in the
past year.

Really a shame because I spent a *crap ton* of money to move to this
fantastic place full of nobel laureates where civil and student rights
movements have a lot of history, and I find that the overgrowth has
taken over.

Peace..

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> We are hosting yet another Software Freedom Day at SF State today. We
> did this for 2005, 2006, and 2007 with a lot of success and fun. We
> hope it will be the same, if not better this year.
>
> Students from Information Management Systems Association and Eco
> Students will be there along with the iLearn team (moodle hackers
> extraordinaire) at SF State. Our students, staff and faculty will be
> out in the Quad by the Cesar Chavez center handing out flyers, CDs
> with Free and Open Source Software and educating the community about
> the benefits of FOSS. We'll also have some machines demonstrating the
> Free Software Ecosystem. Go check it out!
>
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/sfd2008
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
>
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

Justin Alan Ryan
Independent Interaction Architect
http://www.bitmonk.net/
* : +1-415-226-1199 x2600

"All because of a bunch of stuff that happened.."
 -Homer Simpson
"The best way to get in touch with me is PayPal.
 -Alexander Limi

This communication is Proprietary and Confidential and may not be
reproduced under any terms without direct prior written consent of
its' author, unless implied by participation on a publicly archived
mailing list.