[sf-lug] Tutor me in Programming?

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 20:46:42 PDT 2008

+1 for Jim's advice.

I write code for a living, and that's essentially what's it's about
(background note: I do not have any significant collegiate background in CS
or Mathematics, and no formal exposure to algorithms).  Know (or learn) the
problem domain, and the essential steps to create the solution.  Once they
are understood representationally (in one's own mental spaces), expressing
the solution in any language becomes much more tractable, and less prone to
logical missteps.  You can always look into formal algorithms if you feel
the need to optimize or otherwise re-factor (or simply for didactic
reasons).